Saturday, March 14, 2009

Cube Steak in Mushroom Gravy



Minute or Cube steaks are great for a quick meal. Usually, I'll just use cream of mushroom soup for the gravy. This time I lightly floured the steaks before browning them. I had forgotten how good the gravy could be with flour added to it. If you want a lighter version, omit the flour and just use cream of mushroom soup with a can of water and simmer until the gravy is thick.
.
Cube Steak in Mushroom Gravy
.
3-4 minute or cube steaks
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 small can sliced mushrooms (4 oz)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup water or beef broth
.
Combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder & chili powder. Coat each steak with flour mixture. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When hot, add steaks. Cook approximately 1 minute on each side. Add onion & mushrooms. Cook additional 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender and slightly caramelized. Combine soup and water. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.


4 comments:

Carrie said...

This looks like a great dinner! In fact I may use it tonight! Yum, thanks!

Judy said...

That gravy looks so good. I may do this tonight, too. Makes me hungry to look at it!

Anonymous said...

That looks fantastic! Gravy is so yummy!

Anonymous said...

When I was little, my mom dipped the cubed steaks in egg then coated with crushed saltine cracker crumbs. I will be trying to duplicate that tonight, along with the mushroom soup gravy.