Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry

045

I’m all about easy.  Recently I tried one of those frozen dinner kits meant to taste like Chinese take-out.  To say I was disappointed is putting it mildly.  First, I felt like saying ‘Where’s the Beef?”.  Second, there really weren’t a lot of veggies either.  The kit included meat, vegetables, rice and a sauce packet.  The cost was $5.99 (on sale) and I had a $1 off coupon.  So, I thought the $4.99 cost for a meal kit meant for 2 servings wasn’t a bad deal.  Even if I was happy with the portion size, I definitely wasn’t happy with the taste – too salty and the beef tasted really ‘off’ – like it had been, well, frozen.  The whole experience made me determined to try again with my own version. 

Like I said, I’m all about easy.  First, I chose Kikkoman Stir-Fry Sauce. Second, I chose Bird’s Eye Steamers – the plain veggies you steam right in the bag.  With all kinds to choose from, I decided on 2 bags of broccoli flowerets and one bag of stir-fry vegetables (sugar snap peas, carrots, water chestnuts, and broccoli).  The beef?  Top sirloin steak that was on sale.  The rice?  Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice.  All in all, the total cost was around $13, but this made approximately 5-6 good sized servings.  The time involved?  About 20 minutes which wasn’t much longer than the meal kit.  The taste?  So, so wonderful!  Even if I did cook it myself, I have to say it was as good as what you’d get in a Chinese restaurant. 

The next time you’re tempted to buy one of those kits, think about trying this version instead.  You won’t be disappointed.  Check out my next post for the Fried Brown Rice recipe I served with this meal.

Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry

2 sirloin steaks (totaling approx. 1 lb)

1/4 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce

1 clove garlic, minced

1 teaspoon grated ginger

1 bottle Kikkoman Stir-Fry Sauce, 11.75 fl oz

2 packages Bird’s Eye Steamers – Broccoli (12 oz bag)or 3 cups

1 package Bird’s Eye Steamers – Stir-Fry Veggies (12 oz bag)or 1 & 1/2 cups

1 can Baby Corn (drained)

1 tablespoon Canola Oil

Cut steak into thin strips.  (Place in freezer for about 20 minutes before slicing & meat will be easier to slice thinly).  Combine steak, garlic, ginger, and teriyaki sauce in bowl.  Stir well to make sure steak is coated well.  Store in refrigerator until ready to cook or about 20 minutes.  Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat.  Remove steak from bowl & place in skillet.  (Discard remaining marinade).  Cook, stirring well, until browned on both sides, and remove from heat.  In the meantime, cook frozen vegetables in microwave according to package directions.  Return skillet to heat and add bottle of stir-fry sauce and canned baby corn.  Heat until bubbly.  Add vegetables and stir well.  Serve over rice.


Check out more great recipes at The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap.

3 comments:

Sunflower Sue said...

This sounds wonderful. I am going to have to try it.

Natasha in Oz said...

I need to find that Kikkoman Stir-Fry Sauce-it sounds like a prefect ingredient for Asian food!

Great recipes in your blog too, Marge. So glad you popped by my blog to visit as now I found your yummy site. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Trish said...

I am going to have to try this out! Beef and Broccoli is my Favorite!! (in fact it is about all I will order) But I haven't been able to find one that I like. I will put the ingredients on my shopping list and give it a try!