Monday, September 20, 2010

Roasted Ground Sirloin Steaks

 067

I love using ground sirloin in dishes because it’s leaner than ground beef.  It can be expensive, but I usually buy a couple of packages when it’s on sale.  I’ll brown it with onion and spices and then freeze it for later.  Sometimes I get lazy and just freeze the whole package.  Then I’m stuck with thawing it before cooking.  That can be a problem if you forget to do it before dinner!  So, I had this idea to put it in the Crockpot like a roast.  Once it had cooked/thawed enough to break apart, I broke it into six ‘steaks’.  It turned out to be delicious and easy.

Roasted Ground Sirloin Steaks

1 and 1/2 pounds ground sirloin

1 large onion

1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1 cup beef broth

1/4 cup flour & 1/4 cup water

Leave ground sirloin whole and place in Crockpot with all ingredients except flour and water.  Cook on high for 2 hours.  Break beef into smaller steaks.  Continue to cook another hour and reduce to low.  Mix flour and water and add to Crockpot to thicken broth.  After 15 minutes reduce to warm until ready to serve.

No comments: