Monday, June 22, 2009

Fried Cabbage

I love cabbage boiled with new potatoes. It's pure heaven, but sometimes I want something a little different. This dish says its 'fried' but that's really a trick to make you think you're cheating on your diet. I use a slice of bacon for flavor. You can omit that and just use olive oil instead.
.
Fried Cabbage
.
1 slice bacon
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon water
1 head of cabbage (or 6 cups shredded)
1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
.
Wash and prepare cabbage, coarsly chopping it. Cut up the bacon slice into small pieces. Combine bacon, water & onion in a large non-stick skillet. Cook over medium heat until onion is tender. Add cabbage. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the skillet. Cook 2 or 3 minutes and then stir. Cook another 2 or three minutes, stirring again. When cabbage is pale green, but still slightly crisp, it's ready to be served.

4 comments:

Katy ~ said...

I love cabbage! Will certainly give this a try as I am trying to incorporate more veggies into our diet.

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

Hey dis is an excellent recipe..healthy too..Thanks for sharing..Will definitely give a try!

Katy ~ said...

Marge, thank you for such a sweet comment on my blog! I am very glad we found each other, too!

Judy said...

Yummy yummy, and so good for you.