Tuesday, July 14, 2009

'I Can't Believe I Ate That' Soup

We've all been there. Maybe it's a bag of greasy potato chips or a box of cookies. But, at some point you look back on the day before and wonder how you could have fallen so hard off the healthy diet wagon. Even if you're not dieting to lose weight, there are times that you know what you just ate is not on the healthy list. You think "I can't believe I ate that!". For those days, this easy soup is the perfect answer. Not only is it healthy and light, it's a quick fix for dinner. When fresh veggies are in season, take advantage and substitute them for the frozen ingredients. I keep a package of frozen green, red and yellow peppers on hand as a recipe starter. But, you'll definitely want fresh ones if they are in season. In that case, don't measure, just use the entire pepper.
.
'I Can't believe I Ate That' Soup
.
1 medium onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 carrots, sliced
1 and 1/2 cup sliced red, green & yellow peppers
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 pkg shredded cabbage (16 oz)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste
.
Over medium heat in a large stock pot, saute onion and olive oil for about two minutes. Add garlic & pepper. Continue to cook another minute or two being careful not to scorch the garlic. Add carrots and cabbage. Cook another minute stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Judy said...

I love soup, all kinds, any time. This looks delicious whether you ate too much of something or not.

Katy ~ said...

You crack me up, "I can't believe I ate that." Been there, keep revisiting I'm afraid LOL This soup sounds light and delightful!