Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fried Cornbread

 

002

This is not for the meek or mild.  Growing up, we had fried cornbread at suppertime.  My favorite part about cornbread is the crunchy outside, so I think that is why I like this so much.  Sometimes we’d thin the recipe down some extra water, add flour, and make pancakes.  The next time you have some leftover cornmeal on hand, try this recipe.  I use Martha White Self-Rising Buttermilk Cornmeal because I can use plain milk in my baked cornbread rather than keeping buttermilk around. If you are using plain cornmeal, add a little buttermilk in place of some of the water in this recipe.

Fried Cornbread

1 cup self-rising buttermilk cornmeal

1/2 to 3/4 cup hot water

1/4 cup canola oil & 1 tablespoon butter

Mix cornmeal with hot water until well-blended and smooth.  Add a little more water, if necessary, to make batter the consistency of thick pancake batter.  Heat oil (enough to cover bottom) in heavy skillet over medium-high heat.  Add a pat of butter for flavoring.  Scoop batter into 1/4 cup measuring spoon and pour into pan.  When the batter bubbles around the edge (like pancakes) flip the bread.  Brown another minute or so and remove.  Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

3 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

How interesting, I've never had, nor heard of fried cornbread. I can picture these with butter and honey...yum.

Katy ~ said...

I haven't heard of these either. I'll bet it's good though. I agree with Coleen, butter and honey!

Judy said...

This is really different. I love cornbread, must try this.