Monday, August 13, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup


I love Chicken Noodle Soup almost as much as I love Cream of Tomato Soup.  Pair it up with a grilled cheese sandwich, and I'm in heaven.  I ran across this vintage recipe in an old cookbook and thought you would enjoy it.  There is a lot of time involved in making it from scratch.  I've actually skipped the first steps and made this with canned chicken and chicken broth.  While the long version is wonderful, I don't always have the time.


CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

  • 4 lb. chicken
  • 2½ qts. water
  • 2½ tsp. salt
  • 3 cups cooked noodles
Cut a young stewing chicken into serving pieces, bring to a boil and simmer for 2½ hours, adding water as needed. Skim off the fat and add:
  • 1 tsp. peppercorns
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tblsp. parsley, chopped
  • salt and pepper
Bring to boil again and add noodles, preferably home made noodles. Cook for 20 minutes longer.

1 comment:

Coleens Recipes said...

This is very close to the same recipe I've used for YEARS and it is excellent!! I make mine in the crockpot. Thank you for sharing!!