** FOOD NETWORK APRIL 2011 HIGHLIGHTS **
Food Network Puts the ‘Royal Icing’ on the Cake
with April Premieres of
‘Last Cake Standing’ and ‘Have Cake, Will Travel’
Season Premieres: Dessert First, 24 Hour Restaurant Battle,
Outrageous Food, Mexican Made Easy
On-Air and Online Theme Weekends: “Royal Icing” Primetime
and “Mexican Fiesta” Daytime
Viewers will be showered with dynamic programming this April as Food Network features two new series, four season premieres, two special themed weekends and countless new episodes of fan-favorite shows. Eight stars of the cake world battle for a $100,000 grand prize in the featured primetime series Last Cake Standing premiering Sunday, April 3rd at 10pm ET/PT. Another sweet series joins the lineup as cake decorator Ashley Vicos travels the country creating innovative cakes in her new primetime reality series Have Cake, Will Travel premiering Tuesday, April 26th at 9pm ET/PT. In honor of the Royal Wedding, primetime encores of wedding-themed competitions lead up to the Last Cake Standing premiere and a special sneak peek of Have Cake, Will Travel for a “Royal Icing”-themed weekend on Saturday, April 23rd and Sunday April 24th. New episodes of daytime shows get out their maracas for a special “Mexican Fiesta”-themed weekend on Saturday, April 30th and Sunday, May 1st, hosted by Marcela Valladolid in honor of her Mexican Made Easy season premiere. And, viewers can also catch three additional season premieres this April: Anne Thornton’s Dessert First (April 2nd), Tom Pizzica’s Outrageous Food (April 8th), and Scott Conant’s 24 Hour Restaurant Battle (April 21st). Join the Food Network conversation on Facebook and Twitter.
Chopped All-Stars: Premieres Sunday, April 3rd at 9pm ET/PT – SEASON FINALE!
After four weeks of intense Chopped All-Stars competition, the final four chefs duke it out in hopes of winning the ultimate Chopped title and $50,000 for their charity of choice. The chefs face an awfully-challenging first round when they find offal and a crunchy snack in the appetizer basket. Then, a wild combination of trail mix and goat legs in the entrée round makes an intense battle even more difficult. When the two remaining chefs find a tangy fruit and canned legumes in their mystery baskets, one whips up a championship-caliber dessert and survived the chopping block. Judges for the finale include Alex Guarnaschelli, Marc Murphy, and Marcus Samuelsson. Fans can also follow the action online by tweeting along with their favorite Chopped All-Stars by following @FoodNetwork during the show and using the hashtag #Chopped. And on Mondays, host Ted Allen shares behind-the-scenes stories on Food Network’s official blog – FN Dish.
Last Cake Standing
Last Cake Standing pits eight stars of the cake world against each other as they vie for the title of “Best Cake Artist in America” and an incredible $100,000 grand prize. The six-episode elimination competition series, hosted by Justin Willman (Cupcake Wars), places talented pastry chefs in intense competitions with crazy twists. The competitors endure difficult tasks from creating cakes with “talents” and superhero-inspired cakes to undergoing a two-day competition in Las Vegas. Each week, the judges eliminate a competitor, until there is only one Last Cake Standing. Notable cake designer Kerry Vincent and pastry chef Keegan Gerhard, both from Food Network Challenge, lead the judging panel with a rotating guest judge each week.
· Premieres Sunday, April 3rd at 10pm ET/PT – “Monster Cakes” (Note: Special time)
The cake designers form two teams to create two original monsters in 12 hours. A game-changing twist sends one competitor home. Reigning Last Cake Standing champion, Mary Maher, serves as guest judge.
· Premieres Sunday, April 10th at 9pm ET/PT – “Cakes Got Talent”
The competitors must create a cake for a talent show in only eight hours at Bluebird Theater. When presenting, they will perform with their cakes in front of an audience. Broadway actress Kate Shindle serves as guest judge.
· Premieres Sunday, April 17th at 9pm ET/PT – “50th Anniversary of Marvel’s Fantastic Four”
The competitors must design over-the-top cakes inspired by Marvel’s classic comic book series, “The Fantastic Four.” Halfway through, the competitors are challenged to create two more cakes that celebrate the series.
· Premieres Sunday, April 24th at 9pm ET/PT – “Magic Cakes”
Now in Las Vegas, the competitors have eight hours to create a cake featuring an illusion or magic trick presented live in front of Caesars Palace with comedic magician, Nathan Burton, who serves as guest judge.
Have Cake, Will Travel
Have Cake, Will Travel is a new comedy docu-reality series that follows Ashley Vicos, the reigning queen of the cake decorating world, as she leads her motley crew of assistants around the country creating jaw-dropping, three-dimensional cakes for every type of event imaginable. Unlike most cake designers who are based in a single location, Ashley runs her business on the road, hand delivering her creations and partaking in the parties. Each new city brings its own unique challenges, from finding a working kitchen, to arranging reliable transport for her larger-than-life creations, to taking on last minute custom orders with tight deadlines – all sure to make each event an entertaining yet challenging road trip.
· Dessert First: Season 2, Premieres Saturday, April 2nd at 12:30pm ET/PT
· Outrageous Food: Season 2, Premieres Friday, April 8th at 10pm ET/PT
· 24 Hour Restaurant Battle: Season 2, Premieres Thursday, April 21st at 10pm ET/PT
· Mexican Made Easy: Season 4, Premieres Saturday, April 30th at 9:30am ET/PT
“ROYAL ICING” WEEKEND (Saturday, April 23rd and Sunday, April 24th)
Food Network honors the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton with special encore wedding-themed episodes of favorite competition series throughout the weekend, leading up to the premiere of Last Cake Standing. Online, FoodNetwork.com has assembled a “how to” guide on throwing an at-home Royal Wedding watch party, along with photo galleries, historical facts on British food, and cake recipes fit for a Queen. Visit www.foodnetwork.com/royalicing for more ideas on how to celebrate like royalty.
· Food Network Challenge: Saturday, April 23rd at 8pm ET/PT, “Extreme Wedding Cakes”
· Food Network Challenge: Saturday, April 23rd at 9pm ET/PT, “Giant Wedding Cakes”
· Cupcake Wars: Saturday, April 23rd at 10pm ET/PT, “Wedding Planner”
· Last Cake Standing: Sunday, April 24th at 9pm ET/PT, “Magic Cakes” – FEATURED SERIES PREMIERE
· Have Cake, Will Travel: Sunday, April 24th at 10pm ET/PT – SNEAK PEEK
“MEXICAN FIESTA” WEEKEND (Saturday April 30th from 7am-2pm and Sunday May 1st from 7am-12pm)
Food Network chefs celebrate Cinco De Mayo with new episodes of popular daytime series featuring Mexican food and fiestas. Online, FoodNetwork.com is the go-to source for all things fiesta with Cinco De Mayo menu ideas, featuring Chicken Enchiladas, taco truck tips from Aaron Sanchez, ideas on how to get creative with the traditional margarita, and Marcela Valladolid’s favorite Salsa Borracha recipe. Visit www.foodnetwork.com/cincodemayo for more enticing recipes, photos and tips.
· Big Daddy’s House: Premieres Saturday, April 30th at 9am ET/PT, “Movie Night Madness”
Aaron kicks off movie night with a Tropical Frozen Slush, Hot Dug Stuffed Pretzels, Kicked up Nachos, Caramel Popcorn, Truffle Salted Parmesan Popcorn and a Mint Sundae.
· Mexican Made Easy: Premieres Saturday, April 30th at 9:30am ET/PT – Season Premiere!
Marcela cooks up an amazing Mexican meal featuring Steak Quesadillas with Apple & Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, Chunky Guacamole with Serrano Peppers, Shrimp-Stuffed “Chilitos” and Piña Colada Pops.
· 30 Minute Meals: Premieres Saturday, April 30th at 10am ET/PT, “All-Day Fiesta”
Rachel cooks up a Mexican menu featuring recipes for Egg-Tostada Frittata that are perfect for any time of the day.
· 5 Ingredient Fix: Premieres Saturday, April 30th at 10:30am ET/PT, “My Team is On Fire”
Claire celebrates game day with broiled Hot Pepper Wings, Calamari and a zesty Red Hot Shot.
· Paula’s Best Dishes: Premieres Saturday, April 30th at 11am ET/PT, “Fantastic Fiesta”
Paula throws a fiesta featuring recipes for 5-Layer Taco Pie, Catfish Tacos with a zesty Remoulade sauce, Roasted Corn, Pepper and Black Bean Salsa, and Grilled Banana Quesadillas.
· Down Home with the Neelys: Premieres Saturday, April 30th at 11:30am ET/PT, “Neelys Mexican Style”
Pat and Gina put together a party menu with Grilled Southern Fish Tacos, Tropical Salsa & Chips, Mexican Brown Rice Salad and Gina’s Mai Tai.
· Dessert First: Premieres Saturday, April 30th at 12:30pm ET/PT, “Whipping Up Meringues”
Anne whips up meringue desserts including Baked Alaska and Salted Caramel Banana Macaroons.
· Rachael Ray’s Week in a Day: Premieres Sunday, May 1st at 9am ET/PT, “From a Taco to Morocco”
Rachael spices up her menu with Braised Pork Tacos, Crab Cake Mac ’n Cheese, Moroccan Meatloaf, Zucchini Couscous, Ratatouille with Poached Eggs and Garlic Croutons, and Pork Ragu.
· Guys Big Bite: Premieres Sunday, May 1st at 10:30am ET/PT
· Cooking For Real: Premieres Sunday, May 1st at 11am ET/PT, “It Takes Two to Salsa”
Sunny prepares a fun and flavorful meal including Curry Coconut Chicken Breasts, Mango and Peach Salsa, Black Eyed Peas, and Rice Pulao.
· Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Premieres Sunday, May 1st at 11:30am ET/PT, “A Fine Fiesta”
Sandra makes tasty Mexican dishes with Black Bean Sopes, Chili Lime Grilled Shrimp Tacos and a sweet Acai Margarita.
In addition to the above new series, seasons and specials, Food Network premieres all-new episodes of:
· Food Network Challenge: Premieres Sunday, April 10th at 8pm ET/PT, “Donut Champions”
· Iron Chef America: Premieres Sunday, April 10th at 10pm ET/PT, Cora vs. Schneider (Taxim in Chicago)
· Food Network Challenge: Premieres Sunday, April 17th at 8pm ET/PT, “Sugar Inventions”
· Iron Chef America: Premieres Sunday, April 17th at 10pm ET/PT, Garces vs. Paley (Paley’s Place in Portland, Ore.)
· Food Network Challenge: Premieres Sunday, April 24th at 8pm ET/PT, “Sugar and Candy Fashion”
Daytime: 5 Ingredient Fix, 30 Minute Meals, Aarti Party, Barefoot Contessa, Big Daddy’s House, Cooking For Real, Down Home With the Neelys, Giada at Home, Paula’s Best Dishes, Rachael’s Week in a Day, Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee, Ten Dollar Dinners with Melissa d’Arabian
Primetime: Diners Drive-Ins and Dives, Good Eats, Ice Brigade, Kid in a Candy Store, Meat & Potatoes, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Unwrapped