Thursday, May 13, 2010

Guest Recipe - Homemade Potato Chips


Sunflower Sue sent me this quick recipe for homemade potato chips. They are cooked in the microwave! I've tried this and they really are tasty. I made mine with a little olive oil. This is a great way to enjoy your favorite snack without all the guilt.

Single Serve Potato Chips

Sunflower Sue says: I tried this and they were soooo good. I hate to buy chips because I tend to eat them all, so this saves me.

All you need-
Potato's
Plate or bowl which is microwave safe
cooking spray spray
some paper towels
Seasonings of your choice

I did not peel the potato I just scrubbed it. Then you slice it thinly. Aim to be consistent with the thickness more then slicing it thinly as it will cook nice and evenly. Then cover the chips in a little oil on both sides and then flavor to your taste. You can be really inventive here or just stick to your old favorites! Though if you are going to use salt and vinegar I would recommend soaking the potato in the vinegar prior to oiling up.

Then stick the potato to the plate in a single layer, making sure that there isn't any overlap. Put the plate in the micro wave on full power.

For my 1-2mm thick chips, in a 700watt microwave it took about 5 Min's, turning the potato over about 3 Min's in.

This will be trial and error, all micros are different. So watch them. Please note that they do crisp up after cooling so its normal for them to be a bit soft when they come out of the microwave. Judging is easier on the colour and texture then anything else.

1 comment:

Katy ~ said...

Oh what a good idea. I can eat a whole bag in one sitting, too, so this IS a great saver.